The border of the emerald green shawl is done! Well, almost. I still have to graft the last row of the edging to the first one. This requires a bit more attention than the usual knitting-while-watching television from my corner of the couch. In addition to my blunt needle, good lighting and the handout from the Finishing class I took last winter at Stitches West, I need a table, a chair and some peace and quiet. Then it should go pretty fast.
At any rate, all the knitting that could happen on the shawl is now over. Time to take another look at the various projects filling my baskets. As luck would happen, I recently found a pile of knitted squares that I had forgotten about.
You may recognize these as samples (woefully unblocked, but still) from Barbara Walker's "Learn To Knit Afghan" book. I started those close to ten years ago. The bright blue squares came first; I remember that the yarn, Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride Superwash, was left over from a birthday present knit project. I couldn't find more of that blue color afterwards so I branched out to a few other shades of the same yarn. I didn't really plan a color-coordinated afghan as I should have, because back in those days I still believed that one could turn out a bunch of oddments and leftover yarns into a magnificent, harmonious whole. That's what comes of spending too many hours gazing at the photographs in Kaffe Fassett's books.
I know better now. Well, a little better. It takes serious management and editing to turn "whatever happened to be in the stash" into an attractive piece of knitting. To be frank, it usually also requires a trip or two to the yarn shop to find yarns that are sorely missing in the stash and thus preventing it from reaching its potential. My yarn purchases were hit and miss. I am still unsure whether I can finish the project without yet another shopping trip or a visit to ebay.
In the intervening years, I returned to the project casually, adding one or two squares a year, in between longer projects, but I don't think the book had been opened since 2004. When I found the squares recently, I decided to use them as the start of a child's blanket. It won't be as big as the afghan pictured on the cover, but I haven't decided yet how many blocks it will require.
I also decided to skip the mosaic knitting and other bi-color squares. I had actually done one or two of those, but I found them too distracting in the mix of solids. I'd much rather keep the focus on the different textures involved in the squares. I also know I'll add many more squares in that raspberry red colorway, to counterbalance the bluish purple that dominates so far.
In my great optimism, I haven't even checked to see if Lamb's Pride Superwash is still being manufactured. Ah, the perils of knitting with vintage source materials...