The green pullover is done, blocked, pressed, ready to be packed for the afghans For Afghans drive. The thick and thin wool and alpaca blend feels very warm and cozy. I used up every skein in my stash to reach the next to last row before yoke decreases. Fortunately, I had this other wool around, also an oldie from the Filatura di Crosa "Adhoc" line. The beauty of having a stash is that one can shop there and, from time to time, find the perfect project for it.
I had to frog my gauge swatch in order to knit the green collar. I tried something new (to me, that is) for the crewneck:I knitted twice the length of a regular crewneck and then, instead of binding off, I sewed the live stitches, one by one, on the inside of the collar. I just improvised and tacked each stitch on, not too tightly. The result is a very warm and stretchy collar.
I am often weary of variegated yarns, but this one was too beautiful to resist. In one of my favorite fairy tales, "Peau d'Ane" or "Donkey Skin", the heroine is granted "une robe couleur de temps", a gown that is the color of the weather. This was the phrase that came to mind the minute I found this yarn.
I bought a few skeins with no precise intent in mind. It was one of these wools that one loves too much to actually put them to use. It took a few years to use a skein here, another there, but it really looks best here, on the yoke, surrounded by the deep apple green. I improvised, did one round alternating one stitch in one yarn, one in the other. I started the decreases on the next round which was the first one in "couleur de temps".
I have a few skeins in my stash from back in the days when I couldn't just say no to variegated yarns. Note to self: I like the way they can be blended with a solid, especially on a sweater yoke.
The stats, such as they are: odds and ends and about five whole skeins of Filatura di Crosa Adhoc Rustico, in green and variegated. (I didn't keep track of the quantity of yarn I used up). The pattern was generated with the help of Sweater Wizard software. I used a #8 circular needle and knitted the whole thing in the round, from the bottom up.
Tomorrow: a blanket update.