Very often, completing a long-outstanding project leads me to pick up another UFO and get that one done right on the heels of the first one. This has happened again in the past few weeks, and I was hoping to show off another finished sweater here today, but unexpected hurdles got in the way.
Last Spring I was working on a summer top, knitted in a cotton/linen blend. I wrote about it here, after finishing the front and back. Somehow I forgot about the sleeves for the next ten months or so. In late May, motivated by my recent success in finishing something else than hats and mittens, I dusted off the pattern and tackled the sleeves. This past week, I sat down during a rare quiet afternoon to assemble the pieces together.
That's when I discovered that the front shoulders had 5 more stitches in width than the back shoulders. How did that happen? I don't know, and since a whole year had gone by, I couldn't remember a thing. Never mind, I frogged and reknitted the front from the neck decreases up.
After blocking my latest effort, I realized I had done both shoulder bind-offs in the same slanted direction, instead of having them mirror each other. Plain silly. Back to frogging the front.
A few days later, I finally have two matching pieces to sew together, but no time to do it. As I am going away soon, this sweater will probably have to wait until my return to get my full attention. For now, it returns to its waiting spot in the ever-overflowing knitting basket.
I do have some in-between bits of knitting to show, however.
The current afghans For Afghans campaign focuses on hats, mittens and socks, which will be distributed to the street children of Kabul thanks to the remarkable work of a NGO named Aschiana. Maybe you too read about the plight of Afghan refugees displaced from their native regions and exposed to the lethally cold winters of Kabul, in a series of articles that were published in the New York Times a few months ago. Aschiana works to improve conditions within these camps. I know that warm hands, heads and feet are an infinitely small improvement to a person's well-being, but the optimist in me wants to believe that my small contribution will still be that -- a contribution to make a child's daily life slightly less difficult. The campaign calls for wool items ranging from size 5 to adult, and all the details can be found here.
I have a more selfish motivation as well: knitting small items is the ideal way to use up all those orphan skeins of wool and mohair that have long lived in my stash, mostly undisturbed. I decided to combine each skein of mohair with a strand of fingering-weight or dk-weight wool in a coordinated color and to see how many pairs of mittens I could get from each. When leftovers are too small to turn into more mittens, I combine them with others to make a hat (no worry about having enough for its match).
My first batch reached the AFSC basement last week:
I plan to add more mittens, and a few pairs of socks as well since I will be in full vacation-knitting mode soon.